Partition Actions

When co-owners of real property can’t agree on how to share the responsibilities and benefits of joint ownership, they can ask the court to appoint a neutral party to resolve the problem.

This remedy, called a partition action, can result in either a formal division or a sale of the property in question. Either way, the property or the proceeds of the sale of the property are divided among owners. Partition commonly occurs as a result of an inheritance or the breakup of a business partnership and can be a bitter experience for all concerned. McDowall Cotter attorneys are accustomed to reducing the hostility by representing the legitimate interests of all parties equally while at the same time ensuring that the order to obtain partition and the subsequent accounting go as smoothly as possible.

If you are in the San Francisco Peninsula, (San Mateo, Palo Alto, Redwood City, Foster City, Burlingame, Mountain View…), South Bay (San Jose, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara…), Alameda County (Oakland, Alameda, Berkeley, Pleasanton…), and San Francisco, and are currently faced with a partition, our San Mateo based law firm is here to help and answer any questions.

Have questions or need consultation? Contact us here.

We are here to help. Get in touch.

If you are interested in our services or have any questions, send us an inquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.