Turning 18 is a big milestone – not just from a parent’s emotional perspective, but also for the 18-year-old, who is almost stepping into adulthood. As amazing as turning eighteen can be, the ‘to-do” items associated with it should not be overlooked.
- Starting at 17, kids cannot accompany parents through the TSA Pre line and would require their own Trusted Traveler Number. Please refer to https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ for more information. The Trusted Traveler Number is then entered into the airline’s system, which means the kids would require their own account.
- By law, all male U.S. citizens, regardless of where they live, and male immigrants, whether documented or undocumented, residing in the United States, who are 18 through 25, are required to register with the federal Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday, and the following 29 days after their 18th Registering with Selective Service does not mean you are joining the military. In all 50 states, students who fail to register are not eligible for student loans or college grants. For more information please refer to https://www.sss.gov/
- Turning 18 comes with great privileges – the right to vote, buying a house, etc.
- Bank accounts can no longer be ‘custodial’ accounts.
- If parents wish to stay informed about their children’s healthcare (which presumably they are still paying for), the children would then need to sign an Advance Health Care Directive (AHCD). An AHCD is also known as a living will, personal directive, advance directive, medical directive or advance decision. It is a legal document in which a person identifies agents to make health care decisions and provides for end-of-life treatment decisions when he or she is no longer able to make decisions because of incapacity. You can obtain a blank AHCD by visiting our website mcdlawyers.net under Resources.
If you have any questions regarding any of the tips mentioned above, please feel free to contact our office at 650-572-7933. McDowall Cotter’s distinctive customer-centric approach will provide you with exceptional legal representation tailored to your specific needs. We pride ourselves not only in our commitment and dedication to the welfare of our clients but also their peace of mind.